Make a complaint

Children and young people in care can make a complaint if they feel their rights are not being upheld or if there’s something they are concerned or unhappy about. This could include:

  • their health
  • where they live
  • their carer
  • their safety
  • friends or family
  • school
  • opportunities for keeping connected to their culture
  • opportunities to take part in decisions that affect them
  • support to develop their identity
  • decisions that have been made
  • their Child Safety Officer.

How to make a complaint

There are several steps that children and young people can take if they wish to make a complaint.

  1. Talk to their Child Safety Officer.
  1. If they still have concerns, or the complaint is about their Child Safety Officer, they can talk to their Community Visitor from the Office of the Public Guardian. The Community Visitor will try to work out a solution with the Child Safety Officer and carer. 

    Call: 1800 661 533 (free call)

    The Community Visitor may decide to discuss the concerns with the Office of the Public Guardian, who will contact Child Safety about what is being done to help the child or young person.

  2. If this doesn’t fix or change things, children and young people can call the Team Leader or Manager of their Child Safety Service Centre.
  3. If they still have concerns, they can call the Client Relations Officer at their Child Safety regional office.
  4. Finally, if things are not how they would like them to be, children and young people can contact the department’s Central Complaints and Review Unit 

    Call: 1800 080 464 (free call)

  5. If Child Safety has made a decision that children and young people feel is wrong, they can contact the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal to have the decision reviewed.
  6. For urgent matters outside Child Safety working hours, children and young people can contact the Child Safety After Hours Service Centre. 

    Call: 1800 177 135 (free call)