Making a complaint

It is always ok to speak up if there is something you are unhappy about

Talk to your Child Safety Officer (CSO), tell them what you are not happy about, how it made you feel and what might help to fix it.  If your concerns are about your CSO, talk to the Senior Team Leader at your Child Safety Service Centre.

How to make a complaint

If you are still unhappy after talking to your CSO or Senior Team Leader, you can contact the department's Complaints Unit or you can talk to someone you trust, like a carer, teacher or family member and they can help you to make a formal complaint.

You can make a formal complaint by:

Complaints Unit
Department of Child Safety, Seniors and Disability Services
Locked Bag 3405
Brisbane Qld 4001

You can also talk to your Community Visitor and they will work with you and those involved to help find a solution. They may talk to the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG), who will contact Child Safety to ask them what is being done to help you.

If your concerns are about a decision Child Safety has made that you do not agree with, like:

  • who you should live with
  • whether your parents should know where you are living
  • the amount of contact you can have with your family

you can contact the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, who can review these decisions. You must contact the Tribunal within 28 days of receiving the letter Child Safety sends you about the decision. You can phone the Tribunal on 3225 8346 or 1300 753 228 (if you live outside Brisbane).

If you need help with an urgent matter outside Child Safety's working hours, contact the Child Safety After Hours Service Centre on phone 1800 177 135 (free call).

Find out more