Recordkeeping requirements for non-government organisations

The Department of Child Safety, Seniors and Disability Services (the department) is committed to working in partnership with non-government organisations (funded organisations) to keep records relating to children and young people secure and accessible.

Funded organisations are obligated to meet the specific recordkeeping requirements stipulated in their service agreements. Records may be created in hardcopy format, for example, paper documents are attached to a physical file folder, or in digital format using an electronic business system or network including an eDRMS (electronic document and records management system).

Organisations which are funded to provide services to a Service User who is known to the State through the administration of the Child Protection Act 1999 are required to:

  • maintain an individual file for each Service User
  • give the file or record to the department in the event that:
    • they cease to deliver the services;
    • the Service User to whom the file or record relates is no longer subject to the Child Protection Act; or
    • the Service User to whom the file or record relates turns eighteen years of age

Note: All other records maintained by the funded organisation (for example, carer and general administration files) are out of scope and must not be transferred to the department.

By transferring the files or records that relate to a Service User, the funded organisation will assist the department to meet its statutory obligations under an outsourcing arrangement to:

  • maintain the records in a useable format and retain them for as long as required in accordance with the Public Records Act 2002
  • ensure the records remain accessible in order to meet the requirements of the Right to Information Act 2009 and the Information Privacy Act 2009.

The funded organisation must contact the department prior to making any arrangements for the transfer of the records to the department. The contact details are as follows:

Telephone: (07) 3097 5910